It’s been ages since I last kept you all updated on the progress we’ve made with the caravan! So let me list what we’ve done so far!
It took long enough, but we finally got round to actually buying a mattress for our bed! Its a full size double bed, which is something I was very specific on. I didn’t want to have an oddly shaped bed, or a bed that was compromised in size, so me and Jen put a lot of effort into hand-building a bed frame that would both fit the caravan, as well as a full sized double mattress. I’ve spoken about how it hinges up before, but now we’ve moved the batteries (after a minor catastrophe where they fell off the shelf i built for them) under the bed.
Since we last spoke, I’ve put in an extra two batteries. Which is good because we’ve now put my full sized (and quite powerful) PC in under the desk. so finally we’ll be able to go traveling and be able to get all our work done.
We’ve also put a TV in, currently it sits happily on a swing arm overlooking the bed, there’s a few tweaks to be done with it but its ideal at the moment. It can also be turned to face out the window, in case we’re having a BBQ or something.
We spent a few days at Midsummer common, while helping out at a vegan stall. We managed to test out everything that the caravan had to offer, from the heating, to the stove, to the internet, to the TV. You name it and we used it. The only thing that failed on us was the fridge. It was never meant to be used constantly on its own 12v system, and being as old as it is it uses a lot of power, so we had it on about half the time, just to keep the beer cool… but we completely forgot about the frozen vegan burgers, which melted in the heat, I didn’t feel comfortable using something that old on gas. We are planning on getting a new fridge, but they’re pricey, so we’re holding off until we really go traveling.
Just in case you’re wondering, the Jimny did manage to tow it!
We’re still delaying it getting the correct flume for the wood-burner, but we have managed to paint and clean the thing, so hopefully it won’t be long until we put it in. A few holes need to be drilled in the feet to stop the thing from falling over when it’s being towed though!